Great songs don’t usually come out of thin air, so it’s fascinating how the process goes from idea to a finished song. Rip Room’s guitarist/vocalist John Reed shares how the band’s “Complication” from the forthcoming Alight and Resound came about. How did this song come together? “Complication" was the second-to-last song written for Alight and Resound. I remember I wrote the song very quickly, one of the rare cases where I sat down and all the parts just sorta came out. But when I started to demo, I realized it needed some sort of intro. So I played the main...
Sometimes the easiest way to understand the present is to take a long, hard look at the past. Such is the case with music as well and the best way to attempt to put your finger on Rip Room's sound is to trace the twisting and turning musical path that it took to get here. Enter guitarist / vocalist John Reed. We asked John to cite some key musical inspirators and the result is a fascinating playlist that spans decades, while also making it abundantly clear how the band's musical leanings took root. Check out the full playlist and follow...
- Songs of the Unsung with Jason Smith of Traindodge
- Low Coast Pays Tribute to The Replacements
- Spartan Spotlight: Jeff Caudill of Low Coast
- Allen Epley Talks His Unironic Love of AM Gold
- Caffeinated Chaos: Jono Diener Gets Real on 84 Tigers and Finding Your Identity
- Spartan Spotlight: Scott Evans (Producer, Musician)